Angels in Medcity investor workshops aim to give potential angel investors from the city the tools and knowledge to be able to make these invesments
Both experienced and prospective new investors are welcome to join Angels in MedCity. We hold a series of investor workshops that aim to give potential angel investors the tools and knowledge to be able to make investments in the life sciences sector.
While previous experience in investment is not required, we ask that you are one of the profiles below:
- A certified high net worth individual; or
- A self-certified sophisticated investor, or
- A certified sophisticated investor.
You are a Self-certified Sophisticated Investor if at least one of the following applies:
- You are working, or have worked in the two years prior to today’s date, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in the provision of finance for small and medium enterprises; or
- You are currently, or have been in the two years prior to today’s date, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million; or
- You are a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least the last six months prior to today’s date; or
- You have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the two years prior to today’s date.
You are a Certified High Net Worth Individual if at least one of the following applies:
- You had an annual income to the value of £100,000 or more during the last financial year; or
- You hold net assets to the value of £250,000 or more throughout the financial year immediately preceding today’s date.
“Net assets” for these purposes do not include:
- The property which is your primary residence or nay loan secured on that residence
- Any rights of yours under a qualifying contract of insurance within the meaning of the Financial Services and Market Act 2000 (Regulate Activities) Order 2001
- Any benefits (in the form of pensions or otherwise) which are payable on the termination of yoru service or on your death or retirement and to which you are (or your dependants are), or may be, entitled
Please note that you may be asked to sign a Statement to this effect upon joining the Angels in MedCity programme.
Angels in MedCity Workshops
The Angels in MedCity programme will create an Angels in MedCity community of investors through a programme of investor workshops. Angels in MedCity investor workshops are held one to two times every 3 months. Using case studies and tips from experienced investors in the field, the workshops will explain how to identify and structure a good deal in the life sciences sector. They aim to provide a better understanding of angel investing in the life sciences sector, development and opportunities in the angel market, how to take advantage of the EIS scheme and the new 50% tax break offered by the SEIS scheme; key considerations for investing in an early stage businesses and how to make the most of investing in a syndicate.
These workshops, delivered by the London Business Angels’ team, one of the oldest and most active angel communities in the UK, will give the benefits of over 30 years angel investing experience. The London Business Angels team are joined by a serial investor, who speaks of his own experience of being an angel investor and investing in syndicates. Other key professionals from the accountancy, legal and IP sectors also comment on their own experiences.
These workshop are aimed at individuals who would like to move forward to become an angel investor. The following topics are covered:
· Introduction to the Angel Market;
· The role of an Angel Investor;
· What to look for in an angel deal;
· Tips from an experienced Angel;
· Angel Syndication and the role of the Lead Angel;
· Negotiation and Term Sheet;
· How to effectively use the Enterprise Investment Scheme and other tax reliefs EMI
· Legal Considerations for Angel investing.
For a full schedule of forthcoming investor workshops please see here.
As part of the initiative, it is possible for bespoke workshops to be delivered for certain organizations.
If your organisation is interested in arranging a bespoke investor workshop please contact firstname.lastname@example.org